With the May long upon us it seems a good day to have a look at all there is to do this weekend.
Traditionally, it’s the weekend most gardeners get the lawn airated and fertilized, bedding plants, etc. in so expect the gardening centres and nurseries to be bustling. Looks like the weather will cooperate. Today, tonight and into Saturday morning showers on and off. Then Saturday afternoon it’ll start to clear, more and more sun as Sunday and Holiday Monday arrive. Perfect conditions for all that planting to take hold. By the way the city is a sponsor of Front Yards In Bloom. See a beautiful front yard – nominate it. Deadline is June 28, 2012. For more info: http://www.edmonton.ca/environmental/conservation_landscaping/front-yards-in-bloom.aspx?WT.ac=Front+Yards+in+Bloom
Here is where the Lite 95.7 Community Cruiser is heading this weekend:
Jeep Go Topless Day Show ‘n Shine
- Oliver Square (112-118 Street & 104 Avenue) – driving instructions attached
- 9:30am – 5:00pm
- Jeeps from all over the province will be skipping out on the mud and puddles for the day to show the community their souped–up rides
- This is an all ages event with face painting, body painting, balloon art and other activities, admission is free with food and monetary donations to Edmonton’s Food Bank gratefully accepted.
Play for Pets Expressionz Café (9938 70 Ave)
- 12pm – 5pm on Saturday
- Free admission
- Fundraiser for the Edmonton Humane Society
- Come and listen to music students perform to raise money for the Edmonton Humane Society
- Last year this event raised $4,241.86 and this year their goal is $10,000
- Opening Weekend of Fort Edmonton Park
- Fort Edmonton Park
- All Weekend (doors open at 10am)
- Bring your friends and family to celebrate the opening weekend of Fort Edmonton Park.
- Enjoy games, activities, musical performances and more all throughout the park
It’s the final weekend to catch “In On It”, a really funny play by Daniel McIvor, at the Roxy, 10708 124th Street. The Duggan/Empire Park Annual Soccer Tournament goes all weekend. The soccer moms got you covered with a Sunday Pancake Breakfast! Info on both These events, plus much more can be found here: : http://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_recreation/attractions/festivals_events/events-calendar.asp
There’s an Annular Solar Eclipse taking place on Sunday evening. Here in Edmonton we’ll only see it partially. Here are the details: http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2012-may-20
TV is going to be killer! Mick Jagger is hosting the season finale of Saturday Night Live. There are a number of musical guests including the Foo Fighters, Montreal’s Arcade Fire and more. Rumour has it Mick will perform with at least one of them. I call a end of show jam! The promos are pretty funny, here: Mick Jagger, Kristen Wiig, SNL promos Then on Sunday it’s the annual Billboard Music Awards with performances by Justin Beiber, Kelly Clarkson, Usher, Carrie Underwood, Katy Perry and more. And Lady Gaga has been announced as a special guest on the season finale for the current run of The Simpsons, also this Sunday night: http://style.mtv.com/2012/05/18/lady-gaga-the-simpsons/
You should be aware that city police are warning they’re going to be out in full force focussing what they call the 4 big killers on the road …impaired driving, driving without a seatbelt, aggressive driving and distracted driving. Last year during May long there were 129 crashes in Edmonton…38 people were hurt. Please drive safe this holiday weekend. We like having you around.